High Tech I: Solid Works and CNC Routers

If I can draw it, I can find a way to build it, but I am not so good with computers. Chad Carpenter, however, is a genius with computers.
Chris has a background in structural engineering and computer modeling and was just finishing his Masters in Architecture degree at California College of the Arts when I met him. Lucky for me, he found this project intriguing and was willing to help out. When he started sending his computer renderings, I felt like I had just been whisked into the future. Chris programed in my dimensions and was able to generate individual cross sections and curves to delineate a ribbed mold of the inside of the form. The first drawings were done in Solid Works and are blue prints and instructions to tell a CNC (Computer Numerical Controlled) router what cuts to make.These drawings were then sent to the CNC router at Iceberg in Petaluma, California, where the mold parts were cut on an enormous machine. Once I assembled the parts, I had a mold for bending the spiral laminates in place, and the mold could be unscrewed and disassembled from the inside once the form had cured.

No comments:

Post a Comment